YUBA CITY PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENT ATTORNEY
No Win No Fee Guarantee. Always Free Initial Consultations.
If you live in Yuba City and are met with an accident as a pedestrian, consider speaking to a Yuba City pedestrian accident lawyer at the Law Offices of Steve Gimblin.
Any type of accident can be an unpleasant experience, especially if it occurs to a pedestrian. Accidents resulting in serious injuries could lead to expensive medical bills, no earnings for a while, and a long road to recovery. To avoid finding yourself in enormous debt, a pedestrian accident attorney can help you get the maximum compensation you deserve for your pedestrian accident lawsuit.
How can a pedestrian accident attorney help you?
Dealing with the consequences of a pedestrian accident by yourself can be a daunting task. Not only are you recovering from your injuries, but you also have to take time off from work, settle your claim, and possibly handle other financial matters. That is why having a pedestrian accident attorney by your side can help to relieve your stress.
A Yuba City pedestrian accident lawyer can figure out the total loss incurred in an accident. As motor vehicle accidents are expensive, you need to consider both short-term and long-term bills. A quick settlement with your insurance company can take care of your immediate costs; however, they might not cover your long term expenses. Working with a pedestrian accident attorney, by contrast, can help you to understand the exact value of the loss and consequently take steps to recover a similar amount. Contact the Law Offices of Steve Gimblin for a consultation today!
Pedestrian accident statistics
In the United States, pedestrian accidents happen more often than you might think. A report by the Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA) showed that there were 6,721 pedestrian deaths in 2020 – reportedly a 4.8% increase from the previous year. In California, pedestrian fatality is 25% higher than the national average; there was reportedly a 5% increase in pedestrian deaths from 2019 to 2020.
Pedestrian related accidents comprised about 2.7% of all crashes which were reported in 2020. Of all deaths caused due to traffic collisions, pedestrian deaths made up almost 13%. Such high numbers indicate the dangers of traveling on roads for pedestrians and the constant need to safeguard yourself from such dangers.
Main reasons for pedestrian accidents
The main reason why road accidents occur is negligence by drivers, although sometimes pedestrians might also be responsible. Examples are when a pedestrian is walking on the road instead of a pavement or failure to use the crosswalk when crossing a road. However, it is more likely for the driver to be responsible than the pedestrian in a car accident.
Drivers can cause accidents when they are-
- Driving while distracted, such as sending texts or making phone calls
- Not following speed limits
- Motorcyclists who fail to yield to pedestrians at crosswalks
- Turning at intersections without looking both ways
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Unable to consider flows in upstream and downstream traffic
Sometimes, accidents might result due to fault of neither party involved but because of defects in the design of crosswalks. Designers of crosswalks are responsible for considering public safety and failure to do so makes them accountable. Possible defendants in faulty crosswalk design include government agencies and engineering firms. If you were injured by a car in a crosswalk, a pedestrian accident attorney can help you to determine who should be held accountable.
Note that urban areas witness higher rates of pedestrian accidents than rural areas. However, country roads can also pose dangerous conditions for driving. High speeds and reduced visibility on winding roads are responsible for most collisions involving pedestrians in the countryside.
Injuries Caused Due To Pedestrian Accidents
The consequence of being hit with a car can be serious and even life-threatening for a pedestrian. Here are some of the common types of injuries you could seek compensation for:
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Spinal cord injuries including paralysis
- Dental or facial injuries
- Lacerations and bruises that includes damage to major organs
- Orthopedic injuries including broken bones or other damages
Steps to take after being hurt as a pedestrian in an accident
Pedestrian accidents can be a stressful experience for anyone. There are some steps which you can take immediately following the accident to help minimize the impact:
- Retreat to a safe location: If you are in the middle of a roadway following an accident, you are at risk of more harm. If you can, get away from the road as quickly as possible. Find a safe location where you can rest. If, however, you have sustained pain on your spinal cord, moving might complicate your injury.
- Call the police: Call the cops as soon as you find yourself in a safer location. If you are unable to call by yourself, ask for assistance. The driver involved in the car accident might not be willing to involve the police. However, failing to contact law enforcement could lower your chances of securing a fair compensation.
- Record details: To the best of your abilities, try to take photographs of the scene and note down details about the accident such as the time and how it occurred. Gather contact information of witnesses if there were any. Though law enforcement officers will make a detailed document of the accident, it might not be as authentic as your account.
- Obtain medical care: Seek medical care following your accident. Even if you are feeling fine, you might have internal injuries which only a doctor will be able to detect. As recovering from accidents takes a long time, obtaining health care immediately might prevent you from sustaining long-term damages.
Contact The Law Offices Of Steve Gimblin For A Consultation About Your Pedestrian Accident Today!
A pedestrian accident attorney in Yuba City will handle all communications with the insurance company on your behalf. Even if you are not responsible for the accident, the insurance company will try their best to deny you a fair settlement amount. A pedestrian accident lawyer is experienced in these matters and will fight to make sure you get the settlement you deserve. Studies have shown that working with an attorney can increase the value of your case by up to five times as opposed to settling the case by yourself.
FREE PERSONAL INJURY CASE EVALUATION
What compensations can I claim if I’m hit by a vehicle?
Every accident is different and the compensation that you can claim depends entirely on the facts of your case. However, here are the different types of damages that are awarded after a pedestrian accident:
- Medical expenses:
This includes both the treatment of immediate injury and the expected cost of future procedures. Ancillary expenses such as appointment bookings and visits are also covered.
- Pain and suffering:
You can also seek compensation for the physical and emotional pain caused by the accident.
- Lost wages:
You can seek compensation for any loss of wage that occurs due to injury. For example, if you have to take time off from work due to sickness or while recovering from an injury.
- Lost earning potential:
If you have to compensate for your work optional and switch to a “light duty” position due to injury/ physical disability, you can recover compensation for your future earnings.
- Permanent disability:
You can seek appropriate compensation if you have been permanently disabled due to the accident.
I was partly at fault too. Do I still have a case?
Yes, you can apply for compensation even if the accident was partly your fault. The pure comparative fault rule in California allows you to recover damages that are proportionate to your fault. So, if the jury finds you guilty, your compensation amount will reduce by a certain percentage.
I feel fine after the accident. Do I still need to see a doctor?
Absolutely. Injuries due to accidents are not always external, they could be internal too. Seeing your doctor is critical to your health and well-being. It is the only way to prevent damage due to delayed onset of symptoms.
What are the legal time limits to file a pedestrian injury claim?
In the state of California, victims have two years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury lawsuit. Some exceptions that may shorten or lengthen the deadline include:
- One of the parties lives in another state
- Accidents that involve a government official/ agency
- The victim is a minor
- The actual cause of the accident has been determined later
- The victim has been incapacitated
- The accident led to a wrongful death
To avoid missing the deadline and to prevent future hassles, you must speak to your attorney as soon as possible.
How long will it take for my case to resolve?
It completely depends on the injuries and the circumstances of your accident. However, we, at the Law Offices of Steve Gimblin, take every possible step to expedite the process and start negotiating with the insurance provider as soon as you’ve completed your treatment.
If your case goes to trial, it may take one to two years for the jury to provide the verdict.
Why do I need an attorney? Can’t I handle everything on my own?
Of course, you can. But while you are recuperating from the pain and injury caused by the accident, you need someone by your side. Your attorney understands the compensation process well and is fully aware of all the latest rules prevailing in the state. They can investigate every aspect of your case and can help you take your case with the insurance company. With timely intervention, your attorney will make sure you receive the care and compensation you deserve – quickly and efficiently.